My Current Project

Friday, May 11, 2012

Long Over-due Update

I've not updated recently because I have been busy working on Lost Lake. It's moving along much quicker than Laural Falls did, even though I have tested after each lot creation.
I created a Sim as close to my image as I could possibly make her, and she's been testing things for me. Having been distracted with another project (writing my second novel), I've been a bit lazy in the creative department, so, I simply named her Kheri, since she looks like me.
The important thing about Kheri is that once I got her into the game, I provided her with CC (custom content) clothing, because I wanted to see if perhaps that may be causing the issues I'm experiencing in Laural Falls.
Kheri seems to enjoy haunting the dive bar close to her lake house, and she makes a modest living playing her guitar for tips in the subways. So far I have not experienced any freezing or "jump bugs" (which was the issue I was having in Laural Falls).

 In order to save time and to test out some hunches I've got, I have used some of the lots created by EA, and, of course, I've made modifications that correct pathing issues or enhance realism or both.
This lot (pictured on the left) is modified from the "local watering hole" found in Bridgeport.
Kheri's clothing is CC, and unfortunately these are "premium items" and so I will not provide a link or reference to the creator as I am opposed to "paid sites" (sorry 'bout that).

An important point to make is that, like Laural Falls, Lost Lake is created without CC. However, the limited use of CC that I am currently using with Kheri's clothing is not causing any problems.
There has been NO game freezing at all, not even when NPCs are being generated. In fact, at this point, Lost Lake is running more smoothly for me than Bridgeport runs.
All important lots have been placed and created except for two (which I hope to have finished tomorrow).





Since the focus has been on creating a world which is free of freezing and lag, this world is not as elaborately created as Laural Falls was. It is also much smaller. So, I have paid extra attention on the terrain -- sculpting and painting.
I have not placed decorations, spawners, or effects. These will be placed after I thoroughly test the game with just the lots in place.
One thing that is curious, and that is, a vampire has not yet spawned in Lost Lake, and I did notice that the issues I was having in Laural Falls happened after the occurrence of vampires. I'm not saying that's the problem, but rather I'm simply making observations.


The only issue that has been recreated in Lost Lake that was also in Laural Falls is tearing in the terrain at the lot boundaries (pictured on the right). The image shows a terrain tear in game. 









 





But in CAW the tear is not present (as pictured here).








I have not yet done any research into this, so I don't know how many others are experiencing this problem.
From what I can tell, the tears are not affecting game play, but it looks ugly and is simply annoying. I have had to repair the same tears several times. The tears seem to appear more frequently at roads and sidewalks, but, as shown here, they do also appear at any lot edge.

No comments: